I used to do my monthly wrap-ups on my BookTube channel. However, with my move to my internship, I haven’t been able to figure out a schedule to film without disturbing my roommates, so I’m going to put this one on my blog for now and hopefully figure out a regular schedule for my BookTube in the coming weeks.
I had a pretty solid set of books this month, 4s and 5s across the board. I also managed to knock out several ARCs off my TBR so I can get back to the rest of the TBR faster.
- A fun romp for those looking for more Malec content. Also not a bad starting point for the Shadowhunters universe
Hexarchate Stories by Yoon Ha Lee – (5/5) – review to come
- Fantastic for fans of the Ninefox Gambit series ft even more Jedao & Cheris content and setup for a possible new series!?
We Rule the Night by Claire Eliza Bartlett – (4/5) – review to come
- A solid YA debut based on the Russian Night Witches featuring female friendships and not saving the world for once
The Art of Taxidermy by Sharon Kernot – (4/5) – review to come
- Didn’t realize this was a verse novel going in, but I actually quite enjoyed the somewhat subdued atmosphere, fitting for a book about death
- PHEONIX MOUNTS Y’ALL!! I’ve actually never read a book that featured pheonixes so prominently and man I did not know what I was missing. Some of the best worldbuilding I’ve seen out of a YA fantasy novel in recent years.
The Vela by Yoon Ha Lee, Becky Chambers, SL Huang, Rivers Solomon – (5/5) – review to come
- This was an awesome serial audiobook experience that handled the idea of different levels of extremities that occur on one side of a problem extremely well. Even the “villains” were pretty sympathetic and the main characters were great
One Word Kill by Mark Lawrence
Limited Wish by Mark Lawrence
- I don’t believe in monthly TBRs for the most part, but I really do need to get to these books so I’m making this section for once
My one-review-per-Friday policy means if I get a really good month of reading in, it’ll be a while before some of my reviews go live (see the read section, almost all of those have already been written/scheduled already). It also means that the reviews of books I’ve read in previous months end up getting posted in a later month.
- Empress of All Seasons by Emiko Jean – (3/5)
- The Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare, Wesley Chu – (4/5)
- Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto – (4/5)
- The Last Sun by KD Edwards – (5/5)
Reviews aren’t the only things I write! This month especially, I think I had some really good non-review, non-T5W posts.
- Anticipated May 2019 Releases
- How to (cleanly) convert PDF files to eBook files
- 10 BookCon/BEA Survival Tips