It seems I’ve once again forgotten about the monthly wrap-ups, but I am back! New year new me, right? We’ll see. On a personal level, I’ve been busy adjusting to grad school. I had a proposal due mid-January so I was less active than I would have liked on the blogging side, but the pile of read yet un-reviewed ARCs is slowly piling up and my goal is to make a big dent in that this upcoming week. Though… with the Olympics finally underway and figure skating starting, we’ll see if I can hold myself to that.
The Hourglass Throne by KD Edwards – 5/5
- This ARC took some effort to aquire but AHHH!! So much Tower screentime!!! It was really good
Surprise! The Supposed Talent Show Was Actually?! by 晏白白 – 4/5
- Idol trainee accidentally transmigrated to an IRL PUBG surival show. Adopts a pet pterosaur along the way. Fantastic supporting cast.
- Murder mystery set in the Joseon Era. Hur is excellent at setting moods and writing introspective characters.
The Atlas Six by Olivie Blake (Self-pub version) – 4/5
- Dark Academia personified. Really enjoyed the story even if I didn’t particularly like any of the characters. Writing got a little too pretentious at times.
Siren Queen by Nghi Vo – 5/5
- Perhaps my favorite Vo work to date? Old Hollywood glamor with the haunting darkness of fae bargains
Silk Fire by Zabé Ellor – 1.5/5
- For all the hype, this was a massive letdown. The book is super ambitious and completely buckles under that ambition.
Books in Progress:
Daughter of the Moon Goddess by Sue Lynn Tan – 30%
- It’s realing like YA speedrun right now and I don’t get the hype over the prose, but I’ve heard it gets better so I’ll give it a shot
The Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea by Axie Oh – 10%
- Just started this so I can’t really give opinions yet
Reviews written for books read this month found above