I’m keeping up pretty strong in April, but the crunch of ‘get art done for releases’ and ‘finish this massive pile of ARCs before publication’ has definitely started to hit. I’ve picked bullet journaling back up and I can feel my productivity increase by at least 10x. It feels nice to have a routine again. A pretty mixed bag of books this months, unlike the last couple. I suppose hot streaks can’t last forever. My first DNF this year too!
The Dragon of Jin-Sayeng by KS Villoso – 4.5/5
- Phenomenal ending to the Bitch Queen trilogy and one that had me shouting every five minutes because man, it really does all come together.
A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne Brown – 3/5
- Really enjoyed the worldbuilding! Brown really breathes life into the different areas of Ziran. Characters were insufferable and dear lord it’s hard to sympathize with Karina when she should not be allowed anywhere close to the throne/queenship
Nevernight by Jay Kristoff – 4/5
- The audiobook was on hold for 3 months okay. Honestly, not bad. The dick jokes were excessive and the humor was a little 2010s Tumblr “i’m so random” but the worldbuilding and overall story were pretty solid
Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo – 5/5
- A queer fever dream, equal parts haunted and delicious. Appalachian gothic mixed with Hannibal horror aesthetics, dark academia intrigue, queer discovery, hard drugs and fast cars. Absolutely amazing
Threadneedle by Cari Thomas – DNF @ 14%
- Pervasive ‘child raised by oppressive religious zealots’+ bitchy unironic mean girls petty highschool bullying. I’m not reading that
Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhou – 4.5/5
- The ‘oops I read the whole book instead of 2 chapters and why is it suddenly midnight’ book. Seriously this was so good. Some minor flaws but honestly, Wu Zetian is just such a fascinating character.
Books in Progress:
The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri – 28%
- I started this a while ago but had to put it down to finish more pressing ARCs. Finally picking it backup and god the worldbuilding. I fucking love this worldbuilding. There’s so many moving parts and I’m barely a quarter of the way in. So excited for this
The Bone Shard Daughter by Andrea Stewart – 10% – audiobook
- Loving the magic system so far. Bone shard constructions is such a unique concept. I really like Lin as a character and the narrator helps sell her very calm and strategic demeanor. Will be very interested to see where this goes
C Language Cultivation by 一十四洲 – ch95
- I’ve reached the MTL and it is paaaaain. Not sure if I’ll continue this or just wait til the translation is complete
Faraway Wanderers by Priest – ch20
- I started SHL and obviously I’m obligated to read the source material too. This one’s quite good, and it’s always fun to play spot the difference between the books and the drama adaptions
Reviews written for books read this month found above